There’s just no equal to fresh-made bread, warm from the oven, slathered with melty butter…unless it’s slathered with melty butter and ranch flavor! Hello, plain bread! You just got one-upped by Whole Grain Ranch Bread.
If you want, you can make up the ranch in packets ahead of time to use on various things. Use this recipe.
- 2 1/2 cup water divided
- 3 1/4 cup 100% whole wheat flour pastry flour preferred
- 2 tsp vital wheat gluten
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp bread machine yeast
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried chives
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat 1 1/2 cups water until warm but not boiling (about 1 minute on high in the microwave). Add warm water, flour, gluten and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. (See notes for hand kneading.) Add yeast.
- Fit mixer with the dough hook attachment. Mix on low speed 3-5 minutes or until a dough ball is formed and cleans the sides of the bowl.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Lightly dust work surface with flour. Turn dough out onto work surface. Divide in half.
- Lightly grease baguette pan or line a baking sheet with parchment. Working with one half at a time, roll into a rectangle about 6 X 10. Starting at one of the long ends, roll into a log, pinching at the seam to seal. Fold ends under and pinch to seal. Place in prepared baguette pan or on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with other half.
- With a sharp knife, slice several diagonal cuts into the surface of each log, no more than 1/4 inch deep.
- Place 1 cup of water in an oven safe bowl or glass measuring cup. Place water in oven, on the bottom rack or somewhere where it won't tip over when the bread is added.
- Bake bread at 450 for 20-25 minutes or until browned. Tapping on the surface of the bread should produce a hollow sound when done. Allow to cool while making ranch topping.
- To make ranch topping, combine softened butter and remaining ingredients (salt through pepper) in a small bowl. Set aside. Preheat broiler.
- Using a serrated bread knife, slice loaves in half lengthwise. Spread cut sides of loaves with melted butter mixture and place cut sides up on baking sheet. Broil 2-3 minutes or until edges of bread begin to brown and butter is melted and bubbling. Serve warm.