I will admit that that cute little box of Jiffy® cornbread mix at the store is inviting! Take the box home, add some eggs and milk, and voila! But, the truth is, you don’t really need Jiffy®, or any other company, to make you a cornbread mix. You can just do it yourself with this Whole Grain Cornbread Mix, and then you can control the ingredients. And it’s not any harder to make cornbread from a homemade mix than it is to make one from a box.
In fact, you can make several at once, assembly line style, and keep them around for when you’re in the mood for some good old country cornbread!
Check out some of our other dry mixes HERE.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 Tbsp buttermilk powder optional, see notes
- 1 tsp salt
To make cornbread from mix:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water or milk, see notes
To make the mix
- To make the mix, combine all the dry ingredients listed under "Cornbread Mix". Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
To make cornbread from mix
- To make cornbread from cornbread mix, combine the mix with egg, honey, oil and water or milk. Stir until smooth. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-30 min or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Each batch of cornbread mix makes 8-10 slices of cornbread.