Making your own sauce instead of using a jarred sauce might sound a bit intimidating, but this Healthy Turkey Ragu is a great intermediate step. It uses canned tomatoes and tomato paste but your own veggies and seasonings and it turns out just fabulous.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1 pint mushrooms sliced
- 2 carrot sliced
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey 90% lean or leaner
- 1 can tomato paste 6 oz.
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 14.5 oz.
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz.
- 3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 lb 100% whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add celery, mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are soft and liquid is evaporated, 5-8 minutes.
- Add turkey to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently to break up chunks, about 10 minutes or until meat is cooked.
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain. Serve sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with fresh herbs.