This Strawberry Poppyseed Salad is a main dish salad is perfect for summer picnics, in the lush green grass alongside a perfectly still pond, as birds alight from the trees providing idyllic shade for your checkered blanket…
Oh. Sorry. My fantasy got a little away from me there.
Let me try that again.
This main dish salad is perfect for summer picnics, quickie dinners, pot lucks, al fresco dining, and the like. And, since the chicken does not need to be warm, it’s also perfect for meal preppers and salad in a jar.
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 10 oz baby spinach or baby spinach blend
- 1 lb strawberries stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp onion grated
- 12 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (3/4 cup)
- 1 Tbsp poppyseeds
- 4 Tbsp honey or agave (1/4 cup)
- In a small skillet, heat pecans over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Drizzle with honey. Cook 5 minutes longer, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt. Pour pecans onto a parchment-lined countertop to cool. Cool completely before using.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat 8-10 minutes per side, or until juices run clear and chicken is no longer pink. Let rest 5 minutes. Slice into thin slices.
- Arrange spinach evenly among 4 salad bowls. Top with strawberries. Fan chicken over spinach. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker cup or small bowl. Shake or whisk to combine.