Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros is an easy and tasty take on a Greek classic. You’ll get all the flavor of classic Greek gyros from your slow cooker at home.
Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen diced onions
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cup tzatziki sauce **with no sugar listed in ingredients
- 8 each 100% whole wheat greek pita bread *pocketless pita, with no high fructose corn syrup
- 1 cucumber medium, diced
- 1 tomato large, diced
*Homemade Greek Pitas
- 2/3 cup water warmed
- 1/2 cup milk warmed
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cup 100% whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
- Cooking Spray
Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros:
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a slow cooker (chicken through pepper) or combine in a resealable bag to use as a freezer meal. Stir well. Cook on low 6 hours or on high 4 hours if cooking from fresh. If cooking from freezer, put frozen block in crockpot and cook for 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Shred chicken. Serve in warmed pitas, topped with Tzatziki, cucumbers, and tomatoes
*Homemade Greek Pitas:
- Place liquid ingredients in bowl of a stand mixer. Add flour. Add salt to the side of the bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour, and add yeast to the well. Fit mixer with a dough hook. Stir on low speed 5 minutes or until dough ball forms and cleans the sides of the bowl. Dough should be soft and springy and slightly sticky. Spray dough ball with cooking spray. Turn to coat all sides. Cover loosely with plastic wrap, and allow to rise 1 hour in a warm, draft-free place.
- When dough has doubled in bulk, punch it down by hand. Divide into 8 equal portions. Form each portion into a ball. Roll each ball into an 1/8 inch thick circle (about).
- Preheat griddle to 350. Cook each circle 2 minutes, or until bubbly and puffy. Flip over, and cook 2 minutes longer. Set aside and keep warm.
This Post Has One Comment
Can’t wait to try these!