This Instant Pot Taco Pie was a big hit with a dinner party I held recently, where I did a beef version in one pan, and a vegetarian version in the other, and cooked them both at once in one Instant Pot. (And felt quite smug about myself in doing so, I might add!)
- 3 each 100% whole grain soft flour tortilla
- 1 lb ground beef 90% lean or leaner
- 12 oz cheddar-jack cheese grated
- 1 can refried beans no sugar or lard added
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 each tomato chopped, optional
- 1 each romaine lettuce shredded, optional
- 4 oz Black olives chopped, optional
- 4 Tbsp sour cream optional
- 1 each avocado optional
- Brown beef in a medium skillet until no longer pink, stirring frequently to break up meat into smaller bits. Add all seasonings plus one cup water. Stir well, bring to a simmer, and simmer uncovered about 10 min or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Line an oven-safe dish that will fit in your instant pot with parchment paper (bottom and sides) (it will be wrinkly and that is ok. allow enough excess that you can grab the edges to lift your pie out of the pan.) Alternatively use a springform or push pan. See notes for doubling the recipe and making two pies at once.
- Wrap tortillas in paper towels and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Add 1 tortilla to prepared pan. Press along the bottom and slightly up the sides. Spread 1/3 of the beans onto the tortilla. Top with 1/3 of the beef. Use a rubber scraper or the back of a spoon to spread the beef mixture to the edges of the tortilla. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over the beef.
- Add a second tortilla followed by 1/3 the beans, 1/3 the beef, and 1/3 the cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cover tightly with foil or the lid of your pan (if it has one that is oven safe.)
- Place 1 cup water in the insert of an instant pot. Place trivet in insert. Place prepared pan. Lock lid; set valve to sealing. Program for manual-high and 10 minutes. When cook time ends, carefully move the valve to venting and allow pressure to escape. (Quick release.) Top with your favorite toppings.