This healthy General Tso’s Chicken was a huge hit from young to old, but feel free to control the heat by using more or less crushed red pepper.
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 2 Tbsp cooking sherry
- 2 Tbsp Vodka
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 2 Tbsp cooking sherry
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Chicken broth no sugar listed in ingredients
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp peanut oil or coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 2 tsp fresh ginger minced, about 1 inch piece
- 4 green onion thinly sliced
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper or less, to taste
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil
- Beat egg white in a large bowl until lightly foamy. Add Bragg Liquid Aminos, sherry, and vodka. Whisk to combine. Divide marinade in half. Add half to a large bowl and half to a small bowl. Add baking soda and cornstarch to the large bowl.
- Add chicken to large bowl. Stir to coat thoroughly. Cover, and set aside.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl. Whisk until combined. Add marinade from small bowl and whisk until mixture resembles coarse, mealy clumps.
- Combine Bragg Liquid Aminos, sherry, vinegar, chicken broth, honey, sesame oil, and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir well. Set aside.
- Combine peanut or coconut oil, garlic, ginger, 1 Tablespoon green onions, and crushed red pepper in a large skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Stir sauce mixture and add to skillet, scraping out any settlement from the bottom. Cook until sauce boils, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add remaining green onions. Transfer sauce to a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil until hot in same skillet. Transfer chicken to dry coating, and coat each piece, pressing to adhere.
- When each piece has been coated, shake off excess coating and cook in oil approximately 4 minutes per side or until cooked thoroughly. Transfer chicken to a paper towel-lined bowl to rest.
- Add cooked chicken to empty skillet and return sauce to skillet. Toss chicken, folding it gently, until all pieces are well-coated. Serve immediately over cooked brown rice.
This Post Has One Comment
Another to add to my “must try” list….but without the “heat”.