Yeah. These are kind of the bomb. Imagine a healthy-but-soft dinner roll stuffed with the amazing combo of broccoli and cheese. Yep! You’ve got it. Healthy Broccoli Cheese Bombs, and they’re all for you!
This recipe was adapted and made healthier from a recipe at thenovicechefblog.com.
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast instant works too
- 1/4 cup water warm
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 egg
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk, lukewarm
- 2 3/4 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- Add warm water, warm milk, 1/4 c. softened butter, honey, and eggs to a bowl of a stand mixer*. Add 2 1/2 c. flour and salt. Add yeast to the center.
- Affix mixer with dough hook. Mix on speed 1 for 5-7 minutes or until dough ball forms and cleans the sides of the bowl. Note: add more flour, 1-2 Tbsp. at a time, if the dough is too sticky and doesn’t form a ball. Do not remove dough from bowl.
- Cover the dough with a clean dish towel and allow to rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake buns 20-25 minutes at 350 or until golden. Brush buns with remaining 2 Tbsp. melted butter.
- While bread is rising, grease oven proof skillet or cake pan. Add broccoli to a steamer basket. Fit steamer basket into a saucepan. Add 2 cups water. Cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and steam about 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Remove from heat. Toss broccoli with salt and pepper.
- When dough has doubled in bulk, turn mixer to speed 1 again just to punch the dough down (about 10 seconds). Turn dough out onto a cutting surface. Divide dough evenly into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a disc about 5-6 inches in diameter. Place a few pieces of broccoli and two pieces of cheese in the center of one disc. Bring sides up into a pouch and pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter and brush over tops of bombs. Sprinkle with parmesan and italian seasoning. Bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!