Never in a million years will you miss the cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions! You’ll be saying THANKS for this Healthy Green Bean Casserole, for sure!
- 1/2 lb turnip
- 1 pint mushrooms
- 2 onion
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb green beans
- 1/2 cup 100% whole wheat panko
- Heat 2 T. olive oil until hot. While oil is heating, slice onions thinly on the vertical. Add sliced onions to the hot oil. Stir well to combine. Reduce heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized. Add water 1/4 cup at a time, if needed to prevent sticking.
- While onions are cooking, peel turnips and cut into large chunks. Place in a steamer basket over 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and let steam 20 minutes or until soft. Drain. Add turnips to a blender.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat remaining oil in a separate saucepan. Add mushrooms. Cook 10 minutes or until mushrooms are soft, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms to turnips in blender. Add 3/4 cup water to blender. Add salt. Blend on high until smooth.
- In same steamer basket, add green beans. Add more water to total 2 inches. Steam green beans 11-15 minutes or until desired doneness is reached. Drain.
- Pour cooked green beans into a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Pour contents of blender over green beans. Top with caramelized onions and sprinkle with panko. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes.
This Post Has One Comment
Hopefully my family won’t even notice