100% whole wheat Garlic-Oregano Knots are a simple and fun bread item for just about any meal where you might have garlic bread. If you can find a ready-made whole wheat pizza crust in your area, feel free to substitute that for homemade.
- 1 1/3 cup water tepid. microwave for 1 minute
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 cups 100% whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast bread machine yeast works best, but any active dry yeast will work.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- Add liquid ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add dry ingredients, except yeast, taking care to place the salt on the edge of the dry ingredients. Make a small well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add yeast to the well. Fit mixer with dough hook. Turn mixer to speed 1 and let mix until a dough ball is formed and the dough ball cleans the sides of the bowl (about 5 minutes). If dough is too wet, add a bit more flour, 1 Tbsp. at a time, and allow it to mix in. If dough is too dry, add a bit more tepid water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, and allow it to mix in. Dough should be springy and soft, and not sticky, and should clean the sides of the bowl.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap one half in plastic wrap and freeze for a later use. Divide remaining half into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope. Tie rope into a knot. Place each knot on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely with a clean dish towel. Let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375. Bake knots 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. For the topping, melt butter. Stir in garlic, oregano, and salt. Brush butter mixture on each of the knots. Makes 12 servings
This Post Has One Comment
These were good and easy to make