100% whole wheat Garlic-Oregano Knots are a simple and fun bread item for just about any meal where you might have garlic bread. If you can find a ready-made whole wheat pizza crust in your area, feel free to substitute that for homemade.
- 1 1/3 cup water tepid. microwave for 1 minute
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 cups 100% whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast bread machine yeast works best, but any active dry yeast will work.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- Add liquid ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add dry ingredients, except yeast, taking care to place the salt on the edge of the dry ingredients. Make a small well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add yeast to the well. Fit mixer with dough hook. Turn mixer to speed 1 and let mix until a dough ball is formed and the dough ball cleans the sides of the bowl (about 5 minutes). If dough is too wet, add a bit more flour, 1 Tbsp. at a time, and allow it to mix in. If dough is too dry, add a bit more tepid water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, and allow it to mix in. Dough should be springy and soft, and not sticky, and should clean the sides of the bowl.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap one half in plastic wrap and freeze for a later use. Divide remaining half into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope. Tie rope into a knot. Place each knot on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely with a clean dish towel. Let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375. Bake knots 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. For the topping, melt butter. Stir in garlic, oregano, and salt. Brush butter mixture on each of the knots. Makes 12 servings