This could be oversimplifying things, because there’s really not that much difficulty to an unfrozen grilled cheese sandwich. Does freezing them really make them easier? Yes, and no. It’s not less work, it’s just sort of work that can be done ahead, when you have more time. (But my teenage son likes Freezer Ready Grilled Cheese it because it’s not work that he has to do!)
We served these with Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Soup and it was, to be completely honest, a killer combo.
- 8 slices 100% Whole Grain Bread
- 6 slices real american cheese not cheese product or cheese food
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 16 inches parchment paper optional but recommended
- Cut parchment into 4 equal strips, about 4 inches wide each. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place one slice buttered side down on a piece of parchment paper. Top with 1 1/2 cheese slices. Top with a second slice of bread, butter side up. Wrap sandwich in parchment and place in bag. Repeat with remaining bread and cheese.
- To cook after freezing, heat skillet to medium heat. Unwrap 1 sandwich from parchment. Add sandwich to pan. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes or until browned on the bottom. Flip sandwich, cover and cook 3-4 minutes or until second side is browned. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.