This is my FAVORITE healthy fish tacos recipe. The red cabbage slaw goes so well with the fish. I want to make it again while I am writing this. It’s definitely a family favorite.
You’ll want to make this every Tuesday (or any other day). Why not line up some tacos on your meal plan for every Tuesday. You could do these fish tacos one week, some carnitas pork tacos another week, and maybe try something weird like banh mi tacos another week. Just browse the taco section here.
- 4 tilapia filet or other firm white fish, 4 oz each
- 1/4 cup juice from jalapeno jar
- 1/2 cup avocado oil divided
- 3/4 cup cilantro chopped, divided
- 2 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- kosher salt
- 1/2 head red cabbage small, shredded
- 4 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp pickled jalapeno slices diced
- 8 corn tortilla
- Combine 1/4 c. jalepeno juice, 1/4 c. avocado oil, 2 Tbsp. cilantro, 2 tsp. garlic, and 1 lb tilapia in a gallon sized zip top bag. Marinate at least one hour, or for as long as overnight.
- Combine shredded cabbage, sour cream, lime juice, salt, pepper, 1 Tbsp. chopped jalepenos, and green onions in a small bowl. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining avocado oil. Add marinated fish. Cook 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently, or until fish is opaque and cooked through. Add fish, cabbage slaw, and any remaining cilantro to corn tortillas.
Pin this recipe to your favorite boards so you don’t lose it! Use the pin icon on the image below (hover to see it on desktop). This would go well on Mexican boards, taco boards, spicy food boards, and more.
The red cabbage slaw is what makes this healthy fish tacos recipe. The tangy lime and spicy jalapeno flavors meld together in such an amazing way.
Lightly frying the corn tortillas in a pan with a little olive oil makes for great tacos. Just enough to start some brown spots but not enough to make them rigid.