Fish-n-Chips can traditionally be pretty unhealthy, but not this version. Cheerio! I do hope you enjoy this authentic british dish; I know we did!
You can add the British Smashed Peas to make it even more authentic!
- 1 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour divided
- 12 oz beer or chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 16 oz cod fillet
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sweet potato white fleshed, such as Hannah
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp salt kosher salt preferred
- Add 1/2 cup flour to a shallow dish. Combine remaining flour, beer, salt, pepper, and garlic in a medium bowl, stirring well.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Dredge fish in flour, then dip in beer batter. Place fish in hot oil. Cook 4-5 minutes per side or until browned and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 450. Peel potatoes and cut into french fry shape or use a french fry cutter. Toss with oil in a medium bowl. Arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 450 10 minutes. Turn fries. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Check for doneness (cook time will depend on size and thickness of fries), and bake longer if necessary, 2 minutes at a time, until fries are browned and cooked through.