If you want to turn up the heat for this Fired Up Chicken Pasta recipe, add 1/4-1 tsp. cayenne pepper when you add the salt and pepper.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast diced
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups 100% whole wheat rotini
- 1 bag frozen broccoli and cauliflower 16 oz.
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz.
- 1 can green chiles 4 oz.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices optional
- 8 oz cheddar-jack cheese shredded
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Add chicken. Cook 5 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Add water and pasta. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked to desired doneness. Add vegetables, tomatoes, chiles, salt, pepper, and jalapeños (if using). Cover and cook 7 more minutes or until vegetables are cooked. Remove from heat. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted*.
- *For a browned cheese topping, broil for 2 minutes after adding the cheese.