We originally did this healthy chicken and waffles recipe as part of a Comfort Food Challenge and it was a huge hit. This is “Comfort Food” at it’s finest. Can you believe you can eat this?
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 egg large
- 2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 egg
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In one small bowl, mix almond meal, onion powder, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. In another small bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Wash chicken breasts and pat dry with paper towel. Cut into 1/2 inch thick strips lengthwise.
- Dip each strip into an egg mixture, coat completely in almond meal and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes on one side, flip and bake for another 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually (1 cup at a time) mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Makes 4 large waffles or 8 - 4” pancakes.
- Cook on waffle iron or griddle.
- Serve chicken and waffles with butter and maple syrup if desired.