The perfect side for practically any meal, these soft dinner rolls are stuffed with mozzarella before they’re baked, developing a wonderfully melty center. These Cheesy Stuffed Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls are great for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast instant works too
- 1/2 cup water warm
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 egg
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk, lukewarm
- 5 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 oz mozzarella cut into 24 cubes
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Add warm water, warm milk, 1/2 c. softened butter, honey, and eggs to a bowl of a stand mixer*. Add 5 c. flour and salt. Add yeast to the center.
- Affix mixer with dough hook. Mix on speed 1 for 5-7 minutes or until dough ball forms and cleans the sides of the bowl. Note: add more flour, 1-2 Tbsp. at a time, if the dough is too sticky and doesn’t form a ball. Do not remove dough from bowl.
- Cover the dough with a clean dish towel and allow to rise 45 minutes. Turn mixer to speed 1 again just to punch the dough down (about 10 seconds).
- Turn dough out onto a cutting surface. Divide dough evenly in 24 pieces. Stuff 1 cube of mozzarella cheese into each piece of dough. Wrap dough around cheese, forming a ball, and place in 2 greased 13X9 pans (12 in each). Cover again with towel. Let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake buns 20-25 minutes at 350 or until golden. Brush buns with remaining 2 Tbsp. melted butter. Dust with garlic powder and parsley.