Well I do declare! These Healthy Cajun Fish Sandwiches are your direct link to everything the South has to offer: charm, hospitality, and just a touch of heat.
- 4 fish filet 4 oz each, such as cod
- 1 1/2 cups flaked corn cereal no sugar listed in ingredients, such as Nature's Path®, crushed
- 1/2 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp buttermilk powder
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 egg separated
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 each 100% whole grain hamburger buns
- 1 tomato large, sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 4 leaves green leaf lettuce
- 8 Tbsp clean barbeque sauce no sugar listed in ingredients, such as Hak's®
- Place cereal, flour, baking powder, salt, olive oil, buttermilk powder, and cajun seasoning in a shallow dish.
- Beat egg whites in a shallow dish. Reserve egg yolks for another use, or discard.
- Dip each fish filet into egg whites, and then into cereal mix.
- Heat butter in a large skillet. Add fish. Cook 4-6 minutes, turning once, or until coating is browned and fish is cooked through.
- Place 1 fish filet, 1 slice onion, 1 slice tomato, 1 leaf lettuce, and 2 tablespoons bbq sauce on each bottom bun. Top with bun tops.
For gluten free, substitute whole grain gluten free flour for the whole wheat flour.