The Hurst Hambeens brand Cajun Bean Soup was one of my favorite recipes before I found 90/10 Nutrition. But, unfortunately the seasoning packet they include with their Cajun 15 Bean Soup contains red tier ingredients, so I set my sights on a tier-friendly copycat. I even found an uncured turkey kielbasa with no added sugar by Garrett Valley! You have to try this Cajun Bean Soup Mix!
Check out all of our dry mixes here.
Dry Soup Mix
- 1 1/2 cups dried 15 bean soup mix or about 1/2 package of Hurst Hambeens package
- 1 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp dried minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp cajun seasoning such as McCormick Just a Pinch
- 2 Tbsp freeze dried green bell pepper see notes
- 2 Tbsp freeze dried celery see notes
- 1 lb kielbasa no sugar listed in ingredients, see notes
- 14.5 oz Diced Tomatoes
Homemade Vegetable Bouillon Powder
- 4 Tbsp celery salt
- 4 Tbsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp ground savory
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Mix all bouillon ingredients in a small bowl. Reserve 1 tsp. Store remaining bouillon in airtight container and store in cool, dry place for use in other soup mixes (only the reserved tsp is needed for this recipe).
Dry Soup Mix
- Add beans, dried minced onion, dried minced garlic, cajun seasoning, dried green bell peppers, dried celery to a small (1 pint) canning jar. Add 1 teaspoon homemade bouillon. Seal jar and keep in a cool dark place (such as a pantry) for up to 3 months.
For Soup (Slow Cooker)
- Add contents of jar and 6 cups water to a slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on high 6 hours. Test beans for doneness. If done, slice sausage and add it along with the tomatoes to the slow cooker. Cook an additional 30-45 minutes.
For Soup (Instant Pot)
- Add contents of jar and 6 cups water to Instant Pot. Stir well. Lock lid; set valve to sealing. Quick release, and test beans for doneness. If done, slice sausage and add it along with the tomatoes to the slow cooker. Cook an additional 30-45 minutes.
Dried Bell Peppers: CLICK HERE