This Healthy Apple-Puffed Pancake is one of our family’s favorite recipes, the one most-requested for special breakfasts, the one whose leftovers are always fought over (if there are any leftovers at all!) I decided to clean it up for 90/10 Nutrition, and the new version is definitely an improvement, not just in nutrients but in wow factor and taste.
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 apple cored and diced
- 6 egg
- 1 1/2 cups milk or unsweetened almond milk for dairy free
- 1/2 cup 100% whole wheat flour or brown rice flour for gluten free
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp pure maple syrup optional, for serving
- Heat oven to 425. Place butter in a 13X9 baking dish, and place in oven while it's preheating.
- Meanwhile, core and slice the apples. When butter is melted place the apples in a single layer on top of the butter. Return pan to oven.
- Let cook 5 minutes or until butter sizzles. Do not let butter brown. While apples are cooking, add eggs, milk, flour, cinnamon, honey, salt, and vanilla to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Remove hot pan from oven and immediately pour batter in pan. Return pan to oven and bake 20 minutes or until eggs are set and edges are puffed and brown. Serve with pure maple syrup, if desired.