These air fryer fish tacos are our healthy version of Rubio’s fish tacos, which are some of THE BEST, beer-battered fish tacos there are. If you’ve spent any time in California and had good baja-style fish tacos, you probably know Rubio’s.
Ryan and I cooked this recipe together before we served it al fresco style on the patio on a cool, breezy Oklahoma evening. If possible, we both highly recommend making a double batch of these and sharing with friends. And, speaking of double batches, these tacos pair well with our Baked Tortilla Chips (which really isn’t saying much, because, honestly, what doesn’t?) so go ahead and make a double batch of those, too.
If you don’t own an air fryer yet, but you are looking for one, consider this Cuisinart one. It’s my favorite.
- 12 oz cod fillet wild caught preferred
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 oz beer
- 1 each egg
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 head green cabbage shredded
- 1 each lime
- 1 cup salsa or pico de gallo
- 8 each corn tortilla
Cook The Fish
- Spray air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Cut cod into thin strips (about 1/2 inch thick and 3-4 inches long.) Set aside. (Hint: partially thawed fish is much easier to cut than fully thawed fish.)
- Mix flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper until well mixed. Divide flour mixture evenly between two shallow bowls.
- Mix egg and beer until well combined. Add to a third shallow bowl.
- Pat a strip of fish dry with paper towels. Dredge in flour mixture of one bowl. Dip in egg mixture, and shake to remove excess. Dredge in second bowl. Place in prepared air fryer basket. Repeat with remaining fish. (Don't over-crowd the basket; work in batches if necessary.) Spray fish with cooking spray.
- Set air fryer for 375. Air fry fish for 7 minutes or until golden.
- Warm tortillas in a skillet or in the microwave. Fill tortillas with cooked fish, and top with shredded cabbage, a drizzle of white sauce, and salsa. Squeeze limes over tacos, if desired.
Pin this healthy baja fish taco recipe to your favorite boards. Use the pin button on the image below (hover to see it on desktop). This would go great on clean eating boards, taco or Mexican food boards, air fryer boards, and more.
We originally tried to do a “wet batter” in the air fryer, but that didn’t work so well. Wet batter just doesn’t work so well in air fryers. So we went with a double dredge in flour with an egg/beer mixture between and it was fabulous.