These are not your standard, run-of-the-mill (see what I did there?) french bread loaves. These green tier 100% Whole Wheat Baguettes are soft and chewy on the inside and crusty and crumbly on the outside. The secret to the perfect crust is adding water to the oven with the dough, so don’t skip this step!
- 2 1/2 cup water divided
- 3 1/4 cup 100% whole wheat flour pastry flour preferred
- 2 tsp vital wheat gluten
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp bread machine yeast
- Heat 1 1/2 cups water until warm but not boiling (about 1 minute on high in the microwave). Add warm water, flour, gluten and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. (See notes for hand kneading.) Add yeast.
- Fit mixer with the dough hook attachment. Mix on low speed 3-5 minutes or until a dough ball is formed and cleans the sides of the bowl.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Lightly dust work surface with flour. Turn dough out onto work surface. Divide in half.
- Lightly grease baguette pan or line a baking sheet with parchment. Working with one half at a time, roll into a rectangle about 6 X 10. Starting at one of the long ends, roll into a log, pinching at the seam to seal. Fold ends under and pinch to seal. Place in prepared baguette pan or on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with other half.
- With a sharp knife, slice several diagonal cuts into the surface of each log, no more than 1/4 inch deep.
- Place 1 cup of water in an oven safe bowl or glass measuring cup. Place water in oven, on the bottom rack or somewhere where it won't tip over when the bread is added.
- Bake bread at 450 for 20-25 minutes or until browned. Tapping on the surface of the bread should produce a hollow sound when done.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing. Save any unused bread tightly wrapped in plastic in the freezer.