Step away, knife, this is a job for the fork. These plant-based stuffed peppers will be the star of your dinner (or, if you’re like me, the star of your dinner and your lunch, when they are eaten as leftovers the next day). Even if you’re not vegan, you can enjoy these vegan stuffed peppers.
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion large, diced
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 6 bell pepper varied colors, halved and seeded
- 1 package vegan Italian sausage see notes
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 package vegan mozzarella cheese optional, see notes
- 1 Tbsp vegan egg replacement optional, see notes
- Add rice and 1 cup water to a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Cover and let cook 20 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, heat oil in medium skillet. Add onion. Cook until soft and browned, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic. Cook another 2 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, pulse sausage in a food processor until it resembles crumbled meat. Place in a medium bowl.
- Add onion and garlic mixture to bowl. Add cooked rice, diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Place peppers cut side up in 2 baking dishes. Stuff with sausage mixture. Top with cheese, if using.
- Bake at 350 30 min or until hot and cheese is melted.