What’s better than spaghetti and breadsticks? Spaghetti and breadsticks baked together in one dish….Spaghetti and Breadsticks Casserole.
- 1 lb ground beef 90% lean or leaner
- 8 oz frozen green bell peppers
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce 24 oz., no sugar listed in ingredients
- 6 oz 100% whole grain pasta such as rotini
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 4 cups 100% whole wheat pastry flour (regular is ok but pastry is better for this recipe)
- 2 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 2 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 2 1/4 tsp bread machine yeast
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Brown beef in large skillet. When no longer pink, add marinara and peppers. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- While beef mixture is simmering, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add pasta. Let boil 8 minutes. Drain. Stir cooked pasta into the beef mixture. Pour beef mixture into a greased, oven-safe, square baking dish.
- Prepare breadsticks. Add water, 2 Tbsp. melted butter, and honey to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add flour and gluten. Add 1 1/2 tsp. salt to the side of the bowl. Add yeast to flour. Mix on low 3-5 minutes, just until soft.
- Divide dough into 16 equal portions. Roll each portion into a log, about 4 inches long. Place breadsticks on top of spaghetti mixture in dish. Cover with a clean dish towel. Allow to rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400. Bake casserole 6-7 minutes. Melt 8 Tbsp. butter with garlic powder and remaining 1 t. salt. Brush over breadsticks. Return casserole to oven, and bake 5-8 more minutes. Immediately after removing from the oven, brush with the butter mixture again.
This Post Has One Comment
Made this for dinner last night. It was just great and so easy too! I made it earlier in the day and kept it in the refrigerator until it was time to eat. Warmed up nicely and my husband loved it. A new favorite.