What’s better than spaghetti and breadsticks? Spaghetti and breadsticks baked together in one dish….Spaghetti and Breadsticks Casserole.
- 1 lb ground beef 90% lean or leaner
- 8 oz frozen green bell peppers
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce 24 oz., no sugar listed in ingredients
- 6 oz 100% whole grain pasta such as rotini
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 4 cups 100% whole wheat pastry flour (regular is ok but pastry is better for this recipe)
- 2 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 2 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 2 1/4 tsp bread machine yeast
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Brown beef in large skillet. When no longer pink, add marinara and peppers. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- While beef mixture is simmering, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add pasta. Let boil 8 minutes. Drain. Stir cooked pasta into the beef mixture. Pour beef mixture into a greased, oven-safe, square baking dish.
- Prepare breadsticks. Add water, 2 Tbsp. melted butter, and honey to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add flour and gluten. Add 1 1/2 tsp. salt to the side of the bowl. Add yeast to flour. Mix on low 3-5 minutes, just until soft.
- Divide dough into 16 equal portions. Roll each portion into a log, about 4 inches long. Place breadsticks on top of spaghetti mixture in dish. Cover with a clean dish towel. Allow to rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400. Bake casserole 6-7 minutes. Melt 8 Tbsp. butter with garlic powder and remaining 1 t. salt. Brush over breadsticks. Return casserole to oven, and bake 5-8 more minutes. Immediately after removing from the oven, brush with the butter mixture again.