- 3 pints grape tomatoes
- 1 onion cut into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and halved
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine or 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat oven to 400. Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, and olive oil to a bowl. Toss well to coat. Spread mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Roast at 400 for 20 minutes. Turn to broil. Broil 3 minutes or until tomato skins are slightly blackened. Add tomato mixture to a saucepan. Let stand.
- Flatten pepper slightly on a parchment lined baking sheet, skin sides up. Broil 15 minutes or until skins are blackened and bubbly. Carefully (they will be hot) place peppers in a quart sized zip top bag. Seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel skin from peppers, and discard skins. Add peppers to tomato mixture in saucepan.
- Add red pepper, wine, pepper, and basil. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Puree mixture using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. (Remember to vent the blender when contents are hot!)