Ragin’, cajun, and plant-based, this Instant Pot Vegan Gumbo has it all (except animal products, of course).
Instant Pot Instructions Included!
- 3 Tbsp 100% whole grain flour see notes
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup frozen diced onions
- 2 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 8 oz frozen diced bell peppers
- 2 cans red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 12 oz frozen sliced okra
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp dried sage
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cajun seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 2 cups vegetable broth no sugar listed in ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice optional
- Puree the tomatoes until smooth. Set aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté. Add flour. Sauté until flour is browned. Remove from insert and set aside.
- Still on sauté, add oil. Sauté onion, garlic, and carrots about 5 minutes or until soft and liquid is evaporated.
- Press cancel. Add roasted flour, bell peppers, okra, beans, tomato puree, sage, thyme, cajun seasoning, Bragg Liquid Aminos, and vegetable broth.
- Seal lid and turn valve to sealing. Program for manual-high 12 minutes. NPR 10 minutes, then QR and serve over cooked brown rice (optional).
- In a skillet, heat flour 3 minutes or until toasted. Remove flour from skillet and set aside.
- In same skillet, heat oil. Add onion, bottled minced garlic, and carrots. Sauté until soft and liquid is evaporated.
- Add sautéed vegetables, flour, bell peppers, okra, pureed tomatoes, beans, sage, thyme, cajun seasoning, Bragg Liquid Aminos, and vegetable broth to slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on high 3 hours or on low 5 hours. Serve over cooked brown rice, if desired.