Meaty and hearty, this Healthy Spaghetti Bolognese is perfect weeknight fare, but would also be a welcome dish for entertaining. It has veggies in it already, so you don’t need a side dish, but a nice green salad would be a wonderful pairing.
Try making it in the Instant Pot!
- 1/2 lb uncured bacon no sugar listed in ingredients, chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrot peeled and diced, about one cup
- 2 stalks celery chopped, about one cup
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef 90% lean or leaner
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes 15 oz each
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 can tomato paste 6 oz
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 lb 100% whole grain spaghetti noodles
- Sauté bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Sauté 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add beef and stir well and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is cooked through.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, bay leaves, tomato paste, wine, and vinegar. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Serve sauce over pasta.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Push Sauté. Add bacon. Sauté 10 minutes or until crisp. Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Continue cooking on sauté 10 minutes. Add beef. Press Cancel.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, bay leaves, tomato paste, wine, and vinegar. Stir. Program for Manual-High, 10 minutes.
- When timer beeps at the end of the cooking time, allow Instant Pot to come to natural pressure release. (You can push cancel to speed up this process if you want.)
- While pressure is releasing, cook and drain noodles according to package directions. Serve sauce over noodles.