This is just one of those dishes that warms you heart and soul. Comfort food at its finest, I tell ya. These Healthy Pesto Meatballs were adapted from this recipe.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 1/2 cups marinara no sugar listed in ingredients, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Pesto no sugar listed in ingredients, see notes
- 1/2 cup 100% whole grain breadcrumbs or almond meal
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 7 oz mozzarella sliced
- Mix 1/2 cup pesto with the marinara. Add 1 cup of the mixture to a 13X9 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350.
- Add chicken, remaining pesto, egg, breadcrumbs or almond meal, and parmesan cheese to a medium bowl. Mix well. Form into 12 (approximately 1-2 inch) meatballs. Arrange meatballs in prepared baking dish. Top with remaining marinara mixture. Arrange mozzarella slices on top of meatballs (like a blanket). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Follow recipe as directed above, but do not bake. (Feel free to prepare meatballs in a disposable foil baking pan so as to keep your reusable baking dishes free.) Cover tightly, label, and freeze.
- To cook after freezing, there is no need to thaw. Place frozen meal, uncovered, in preheated 350 degree oven. Bake 90 minutes.