This healthy instant pot pork roast is total yum, with or without the wine sauce. But the wine sauce just dresses it up and takes it to the opera.
Healthy instant pot pork roast is easy enough for a weeknight or fancy enough for company, and everything in between.
If you’re making one, make two! Double the rub recipe and rub it on both roasts. Put one roast in the instant pot and one in a freezer bag and freeze it. When you want to cook it later, the rub step will already be done! (By the way, Instant Pot support says you shouldn’t need to add any cook time to cook a frozen roast. The cook time should be the same for either a thawed roast or a frozen one, but the time that the pot takes to come to pressure will be more for a frozen roast. I usually have to add time though.)
Leftovers are great as-is, but also great shredded over some mixed greens for a hearty main-dish salad. Or shred the leftover cooked pork and toss it in a freezer bag and freeze. For an easy meal later, take out the shredded pork and make it into supreme nachos, fried rice, bbq sandwiches, soup, etc.)
While a pork roast goes great with everything, we love serving this with roasted sweet potatoes and roasted green beans.
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 lb pork shoulder
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 cup Chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup red wine or cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub spice mixture evenly onto all sides of pork.
- Press sauté on the instant pot. Add oil. When oil is hot, add garlic. Stir well and let garlic cook 30 seconds. Add pork and brown on all sides.Press cancel.
- Remove pork; add wine. Scrape pot to loosen brown bits. Fit instant pot with trivet. Add broth. Place pork on trivet.
- Lock lid; set valve to sealing. Program for manual-high and 90 minutes. Allow for natural pressure release. Once pin drops, open lid and remove pork to a serving platter. Remove trivet.
- Press sauté. Add balsamic vinegar. Stir well. Remove 1/4 cup liquid from pot and place into a small bowl. Add cornstarch. Stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Pour cornstarch mixture into pot. Stir well and allow to thicken (about 2 minutes).
- Serve pork with sauce.
Pin this Healthy instant pot pork roast recipe to your favorite boards. Use the pin button on the image below (hover to see it on desktop). This would go great on clean eating boards, instant pot boards, main dish boards, and more.