This recipe for a healthy chicken fried steak was actually a request from our Facebook Community. One of our members requested this recipe for her husband because he loves chicken fried steak. She’s been trying to slowly find ways to make his favorites a little healthier, so I developed a healthier version of chicken fried steak! Enjoy!
- 4 each sirloin steak 4-6 oz each
- 1 each egg
- 1 cup milk divided
- 1/2 cup 100% whole wheat flour divided
- 1 1/4 tsp salt divided
- 1 1/4 tsp pepper divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried mustard
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp bottled minced garlic
- Pat steaks dry. Carefully slice each steak in half horizontally. Pound steaks to about 1/4 inch thickness. Set aside.
- Mix egg, 1/4 cup milk, pinch of salt and pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Whisk well to combine. Set aside.
- Measure 1/2 cup flour. Remove one tablespoon from the measured flour and set aside. Add remaining flour, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, dried mustard, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper. Mix well.
- Coat one steak in the spice and flour mix. Dip in egg mixture and shake off excess. Dip in flour mixture again. Place on a plate and repeat with remaining steaks, working with one at a time.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan. Add steaks. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, or longer for more well done steaks. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan. Add bottled minced garlic and reserved 1 tablespoon flour. Mix well and cook 1 minute. Slowly stir in remaining 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup water. Mix well and heat until thickened, about 3 minutes. Serve steaks with gravy.
Save this healthy chicken fried steak recipe to your Pinterest boards so you don’t lose it. Use the pin button on the image below (hover to see it on desktop). This would go great on any of your clean eating boards, dinner boards, comfort food boards, and more.