I love me some healthy green label Dave’s Killer Bread (21 Grain), and I like to tell myself that it’s in a green label because it’s green tier in 90/10 Nutrition. (I doubt that’s really why but the next time I see Dave, I’ll ask him.)
Healthy Sandwich Bread is not a pipe dream with this Dave’s Killer Bread Copycat Recipe! We used this King Arthur Flour recipe as inspiration to create this tasty bread.
Two problems with DKB, though. One, it’s not found in every store, so it’s not as easily obtained as we’d like it to be. Two, it’s pretty pricey, as breads go. Yes, our health is worth it, but still!
Worth noting: This Dave’s Killer Bread Copycat bread has no preservatives, so it won’t last longer than a day on the counter or 2 days in the fridge. I keep my sliced loaves tightly wrapped in foil in my freezer. When I want bread, I can remove exactly the number of slices I need and either thaw or toast.
- 1 1/3 cups water tepid
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 Tbsp honey
- 4 cups 100% whole grain flour we used wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds toasted
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp flax meal
- 1 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp yeast such as bread machine yeast
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Add warm water, oil, and honey to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add flour, gluten, quinoa, oats, sunflower seeds, pepitas, walnuts, sesame seeds, chia seeds, and flax meal. Add salt to the side of the bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add yeast to the well.
- Fit mixer with dough hook. Mix on speed 1 for 5-10 minutes, stopping the machine to scrape the sides several times, until a dough ball almost forms and dough cleans the sides of the bowl. If you need to add a little more water, add it a Tbsp at a time until it is the right consistency (see video below).
- Add remaining oil to the bowl. Turn dough ball over several times to coat in oil. Cover bowl loosely with clean dish towel and place in a warm, draft free place for 1 hour.
- Fit mixer with dough hook again. Mix on speed 1 for 30 seconds. (this punches down the dough.) Cover bowl with cloth. Let stand in a warm, draft free place for 1 more hour.
- Fit mixer with dough hook again. Mix on speed 1 for 30 seconds to punch down the dough. Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray. Divide dough into two halves. Shape each half into a loaf shape, and place in a loaf pan. Cover with cloth. Let stand 1 hour for a third rise.
- 15 minutes before last rise, place oven rack to lower position so that loaves will be in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350.
- After last rise, bake loaves 30 min at 350. Let cool completely before slicing.
- Slice. Wrap tightly in foil. Freeze up to 4 weeks.
This video shows the consistency of the dough. The water used in this video turned out to be 1 -1/3 cups + 2 Tbsp to get the right consistency.
Pin this healthy Dave’s Killer Bread recipe to your favorite Pinterest boards. Use the pin icon on the image below (hover to see it on desktop). This recipe would go great on bread boards, lunch boards, whole grain boards, and more.