We have waved the magic 90/10 wand and made this soft-yet-crunchy wrap totally green tier! It’s originally sold in a circular wrap, where the soft tortilla is wrapped around a crunchy tostada and all its fillings, but, for ease of making these at home and less waste, we changed this Healthy Crunch Wrap Extreme to the more traditional wrap, shaped like a cylinder. Still soft, still crunchy, still delicious!
- 3 corn tortilla
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb ground beef 90% lean or leaner
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 each 100% whole grain soft flour tortilla
- 6 leaves lettuce shredded
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 4 tomato diced
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp brown rice flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles such as Rotel®
- Preheat oven to 400. Slice corn tortillas into thin strips. Toss strips in olive oil. Arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 400 for about 10 minutes or until strips are browned and crispy. Set aside.
- While corn tortillas are baking, heat medium skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is no longer pink. (About 8 minutes.)
- Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, pepper, and 1 cup water. Stir well.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, and cook, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Before building crunch wraps, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- To build crunch wraps, place about 1/3 cup beef mixture in the center of 1 flour tortilla. Top with 2 Tablespoons queso. Add 3-4 corn tortilla strips to the top of the queso. Top those with 2 Tablespoons sour cream, a sprinkling of lettuce, tomato, and cheese.
- Fold the ends of the flour tortilla in over the fillings, and wrap the flour tortilla around the fillings, and place seam side down in skillet. Cook about 4 minutes per side, or until browned. Repeat with remaining flour tortillas and fillings.
- Heat butter in a medium sauce pan. Whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk, until smooth. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese melts. Stir in tomatoes and green chiles.