We often get requests for a healthy broccoli-cheddar soup in our community, so we made this Better Cheddar Broccoli Soup!
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 yellow onion small, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth no sugar listed in ingredients
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups broccoli chopped
- 3 carrot large, peeled and diced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated, divided
- Heat 2 Tbsp. butter in a large stockpot. Add onion. Sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic. Sauté 3 minutes. Remove onion and garlic from pan, and set aside.
- Add 4 Tbsp. butter to pan. When butter is melted, add flour. Whisk constantly until smooth. Slowly add broth, whisking constantly. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, paprika, and mustard as well as the onion/garlic mixture. Stir well. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add all but 1/4 c. cheese. Stir and heat until cheese is melted and incorporated. Ladle into 4 bowls. Top with cheese. Serve with whole grain crackers (such as Triscuits), if desired.
This Post Has One Comment
I will definitely have to try this!