- 1 cup water warm
- 2 each egg divided
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter cut into bits
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup buttermilk powder
- 1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 tsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds optional, for sprinkling
- Add warm water to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add 1 egg, butter pieces, and honey. Add flour, buttermilk powder, and gluten. Add salt to the side of the bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the yeast to the well. Fit mixer with a dough hook and mix on speed 1 or 2 for 5 minutes or until a dough ball forms and cleans the sides of the bowl. Dough ball should be tacky but not sticky, and should spring back when lightly touched with a finger. If dough is too sticky, add flour, one tablespoon at a time. If dough is too dry, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Cover dough ball with a clean towel and let rise 1 hour. Turn mixer to speed 1 for 10 seconds. Pour dough onto a clean work surface and divide into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten slightly with the palm of a hand. Cover with a clean towel and let stand another 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375.
- Separate remaining egg and discard the white. Place yolk in a small bowl. Add 1 Tablespoon of water to the yolk, and beat with a fork until frothy. Brush tops of buns with the egg glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using. Bake at 375 for 15-22 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing. Save 4 buns for a future use. (They freeze well.)