This healthy and hearty recipe makes a quick and delicious weeknight dinner for two! This healthy sausage skillet meal is made without gluten or dairy and without any fake “substitute” products either. Real, whole foods, in all their glory, are the stars of this show.
We used this kitchen tool during this recipe.
- 1 each sweet potato medium, peeled and diced
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 8 oz smoked sausage uncured with no added sugar, sliced
- 1/4 each yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1/4 each red bell pepper sliced
- 1/4 each green bell pepper sliced
- 1/4 each orange bell pepper sliced
- 4 stalks asparagus woody ends removed, sliced into two inch pieces
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Add potatoes, 1 Tbsp oil, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and cayenne to a bowl. Toss well to coat.
- Heat 12" skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add potatoes. Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove potatoes from skillet and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to skillet, followed by the sausage. Brown sausage 2-3 minutes per side. Remove sausage from skillet using a slotted spoon to reserve oils; keep warm.
- Add peppers and asparagus to reserved oil in skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Move peppers and asparagus to the side of the skillet. Return sausage to skillet and scoot them next to the pepper mixture. Return potatoes to skillet next to the sausage. Cook just until hot.
lunch kits Hint: a french fry cutter makes cutting potatoes into uniform cubes very easy! Cut into fries and then cut the fries into cubes.
Pin this healthy skillet meal idea to your favorite boards. Use the pin button on the image below (hover to see it on desktop). This would go great on clean eating boards, comfort food boards, and more.