These savory waffles are a great, unique alternative to sweet waffles. Try these Healthy Ham and Cheese Sourdough Waffles for dinner or lunch, or even an after school snack.
Freeze and reheat in microwave or toaster. If you’d rather, dip them in a green tier ranch or 90/10-friendly ketchup.
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 each egg
- 6 oz swiss cheese grated
- 6 oz uncured ham no sugar added, diced
- 1 cup frozen diced bell peppers or 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- Heat water in microwave 20 seconds on high. Add warm water and yeast to a small bowl. Stir until yeast is dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add milk, sour cream, oil, and honey. Stir until combined.
- Add 2 cups flour. Stir well. Cover and let rise 1 hour. Stir, cover, and refrigerate 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, let batter stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Preheat waffle iron. Stir remaining flour into batter. Add salt and egg. Combine well with a whisk. Fold in cheese, ham, and green peppers.
- Cook waffles according to the directions on your waffle maker.
- Combine honey and dijon for a dipping sauce.
Pin this healthy savory waffle recipe to your favorite boards. Use the pin button on the image below (hover to see it on desktop). This would go great on clean eating boards, lunch or dinner boards, and more.