Everyone is asking for this healthy Chicken Enchilada Bake
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts about 3 large breasts
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 each onion diced, or 1 cup frozen diced onion
- 1 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 cup beer non-alcoholic beer is fine
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or more, to taste
- 2 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz each
- 5 each green onions thinly sliced, divided
- 1 can black olives 6 oz, drained and sliced, divided
- 2 can diced green chiles 4.5 oz each
- 5 Tbsp whole wheat flour or brown rice flour, for gluten free
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cup milk
- 8 oz cheddar jack cheese grated, or pre-shredded mexican blend cheese
- 6 each corn tortillas 6 inches, cut in half
- sour cream for serving, optional
- salsa for serving, optional
- Cook chicken: Stovetop: bring large pot of water to a boil. Add chicken. Cook 20 min or until no longer pink. Shred chicken* and set aside.Instant Pot: add 1 cup water to the bottom of the insert. Add trivet. Place chicken on trivet. Lock lid; set valve to sealing. Program for poultry. Allow for NPR. Open lid, remove chicken, and shred with two forks*. Set aside.(*You can also shred chicken easily with a stand mixer.)
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add diced onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add chicken, beer, cayenne, and tomatoes. Cook until liquid evaporates, about 20 minutes. Stir in half the olives and half the green onions.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, salt, cumin, and coriander. Add mixture to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Slowly whisk in milk, a little at a time, incorporating each addition before adding more. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. When mixture thickens, remove from heat.
- Spray 2.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Add 1/2 cup flour mixture to the bottom of prepared dish. Top with 4 tortilla halves. Add 2 cups chicken mixture. Add about 1/2 -3/4 cup cheese.Add 1/2 cup flour mixture, 4 tortilla halves, and 2 cups chicken mixture. Top with 1/2-3/4 cup cheese.Repeat layers one more time, ending with flour mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 40 min. Remove from oven and top with remaining cheese, remaining olives, and remaining green onions. Let stand 5-10 min to melt the cheese topping. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
- Make casserole as directed. Freeze.
- To cook after freezing: thaw at least 24 hours in the refrigerator. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until heated through.