With three different cooking methods to choose from, Healthy Green Chile Chicken Soup will be an instant favorite for its flavor and versatility.
This healthy and tasty recipe works best with fire roasted green chiles from New Mexico. (Hatch, of course!) We like the frozen ones (Bueno brand) but if you can’t find those, use what you can find.
Feel free to use your Instant Pot, slow cooker, or stovetop for this versatile, healthy, DELICIOUS soup! You can even freeze it for added convenience.
- 2 cups green chiles fire roasted preferred. about 4 small cans or two 8 oz containers
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts, or a combination, cooked and diced
- 8 cups chicken broth no added sugar, 2 quarts
- 2 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 2 each white fleshed sweet potatoes diced
- 28 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup frozen diced onion
To Cook Immediately: Slow Cooker
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker; cook on low 5 hours or on high 3 hours.
To Cook Immediately: Instant Pot
- Add all ingredients to insert of IP. Lock lid; set valve to sealing. Program for soup. Allow for natural pressure release (NPR) or quick release (QR) your choice.
To Cook Immediately: Stovetop
- add all ingredients to a large stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 2 hours 30 min.
- Add all ingredients to freezer bag. Freeze until ready to use. (Hint: add bag to crock of slow cooker or insert of instant pot, then freeze overnight. Then remove crock or insert. Now your meal will be in the correct shape for cooking.)
To Cook After Freezing: Slow Cooker
- Add frozen meal to slow cooker. Cook on low 8 hours or on high 6 hours.
To Cook After Freezing: Instant Pot
- Add frozen meal to instant pot. Press sauté. Cook on sauté for 10-15 minutes to allow enough liquid to accumulate at the bottom for pressure cooking (about 1 cup liquid). Press cancel. Lock lid; set valve to sealing. Program for soup. Allow for natural pressure release or quick release, your choice. (Please note that the cook time for cooking from frozen does not change, but it will take longer for your instant pot to come to pressure when cooking from frozen.)
To Cook After Freezing: Stovetop
- Thaw completely in refrigerator (overnight or longer). Add contents of freezer bag to large stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 min.
Pin this healthy green chile chicken soup to your favorite boards. Use the pin button on the image below (hover to see it on desktop). This would go great on clean eating boards, Instant Pot boards, soup and stew boards, and more.
This Post Has 0 Comments