It’s summer and we just can’t get enough of watermelon in the 90/10 Nutrition Kitchen!
We all know watermelon is a great hydration source but did you know some of these facts about watermelon’s health benefits?
- Watermelon has more lycopene than a tomato – which means you’re filling your body with incredible antioxidants!
- Watermelon has been shown to help decrease muscle soreness eaten prior to a workout!
- Watermelon is both a fruit AND a vegetable!
- Watermelon rinds are edible and have great health benefits as they’re full of amino acids (try pureeing it in a blender with lime for a refreshing drink!)
Check out this great recipe for making watermelon sorbet with just one ingredient!
“One Ingredient” Watermelon Sorbet
- 1 seedless watermelon, peeled and cubed
- Arrange the watermelon cubes in an even layer on a baking sheet. Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and freeze until the watermelon is solid (about 2 hours)
- Working in batches, transfer the watermelon cubes to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth
- Divide the puree among two loaf pans (or put it all in one deep baking dish), packing it down as you add more to the top
- Transfer the pans to the freezer. Freeze until the sorbet is scoopable (about 1 – 2 hours more)
- To serve, scoop the sorbet into dishes and eat immediately